Tuesday, October 31, 2017

"It's a String Thing" #217 Tiles

October 30 is National Candy Corn Day and we just so happen to have some perfectly timed and wonderfully tangled tributes to this delicious confection.

On top of that, we add our 33rd country to the IAST Tangled Map.  Isn't that remarkable?!  Read on to see where our new friend Dani writes from.

Please enjoy the notes and tiles minus my usual 'Tangling Tips'. Family time is full this week and I thought it best to post and keep on schedule rather than wait to view these incredible tiles.

The first one arrived from Vonnie Schneider (St. Paul, Minnesota) ~
Ooooh! What a fun challenge this was! Thanks to Molly Hollibaugh’s Crazy ‘nzeppel I finally got the pattern to look like what it is supposed to look like. I am loving the itsy bitsy Tira Spider too! I wasn’t able to capture the glitter gel pen on the spiderweb with my phone, but it looks cool! If I look close enough, I can see the canine corn string connecting between the two patterns. Yep, loving this tile! May have to recreate it for a Halloween Card!



From Joke Luessenkamp (Eibergen, The Netherlands) ~
Hello Adele and fellow tanglers,
Being ready making zentangle Christmas cards I'm able to spend more time to participate with the IAST challenge.
Although N' zeppel was the only one familiar to me the other two where quit easy and quick to learn.
After I've done I looked at it a while and then decided I try some tranzending, like Rick and Maria showed at you tube on the 14ns of September.
I think it turned out quit well. It's a lot of fun!!! I tried it first on some older tiles.
Thanks Adele again for such nice challenges.



A very warm welcome to Annette (California) ~
I like the Halloween theme and enjoyed playing with color. Thanks for the post.

Welcome to IAST and welcome to our tangled map Annette!


A very warm welcome to Verena Bock (Germany) ~
thank you for the nice string.
I´m proud to be part of it and looking forward to next week.
Greetings from Germany
and welcome to our tangled map, Verena!




From Lisette (Switzerland) ~
It’s exactly one year ago that I joined IAST. I started with Candy Corns-String 2016. Let me thank you for this exciting, funny and inspiring year, thank you, thank you, thank you! Unfortunately I don’t know what a Candy Corn tastes like, but it must be delicious. Again this was a interesting challenge and again I’m looking forward to what all tangle-mates created.
A big hug to all of you




From Ulrike Daniel (Germany) ~
Hi Adele, what a nice tradition to tangle "cannie corns" every year!
I coudn´t decide me, and so I send you two tiles.




Fom Gabriela Garcia (Alberta, Canada) and here on her blog ~
Thank you Adele, this was a joyful challenge! I had so much fun with this tile not just drawing all the tangles but also remembering last year's "Candy Corn Challenge" (the first one for me). Last year I did a little tira "spider", this year I thought to give it a try drawing Ragged Ray's beautiful tira "ornaments" which last year looked very complicated to me ;-) ...and then a little bit of N'Zeppel Candy Corn's in the back. Happy Halloween everyone!
And a few days later, Gabriela wrote ~
I sent you my entry for IAST a few days ago. Today I looked at my tile and thought... humm, those Candy Corns might use some more shading, so I sat down and gave it a try. I like the result :-) ....
Sometimes I am afraid of adding more patterns or more shading to my tile with fear of ruining it. This time after a few days I decided to give it a try ;-)



From ToniaC (Rhode Island) ~
#Candycorn. IAST#217: #Nzepple, #cracked, #tira. Lots of fun doing this challenge. Thank you Adele!


From Shirley Wohlsen (Queensland, Australia) ~
Attached is my Tile for this week’s -- It’s A String Thing #217 Challenge.
‘Happy Candy Corn Day’ being an Aussie I know nothing about ‘Candy Corn’ but I’m very willing to participate in the challenge and Tangle my tile for the occasion.


A very warm welcome to Dani Mulyaning (Indonesia) and here on her blog ~
I am Dani, a mother of 2 daughters from Semarang, Indonesia. I am new at zentangle world. And this is the first time I join IAST challenge. I am very excited. This is also the first time I used the tira and sand swirl pattern. I do not really like the results of tira but Iwas amazed with sand swirl. Sand swirl works well, in my opinion. I have to practice a lot more. Thanks for the challenge. Hopefully I can follow the next challenge.

Welcome to our community and to our Tangled Map, Dani.  You bring a new country to our map and it is so very good to have you, thank you.




From Juul (France) ~
Chère Adèle
This was a real difficult one for me ! But I somehow like the outcome.
Thank you so much for all your work!


From Mariam G (Port Hueneme, California) ~
I love the 'Cannie Corn' challenges! This is my favorite time of year - crisp air (not including our freakish bout of 100+ degree temps this week), beautiful colors, and inspiration everywhere. And Pumpkin Spice everything!
Have a safe and fun Halloween!


From VenaC (Whitby, Ontario, Canada) ~
I tried using variations of N'Zeppel and Tira. Sorry, I forgot your birthday last week. Hope you had a wonderful time. I really enjoy doing your challenges and do find them challenging. Thanks for all the time you spend on this.




From Margarete Gilge (Germany) and here on her blog ~
in Germany we don’t know Candy Corn. But I enjoyed tangling a Candy Corn tile. I often draw N’zeppel, sometimes Cracket, but I didn’t knew Tira. So I send you my tile with variations of Tira and a little N’zeppel and Cracket in the background. A second tile you can find on my blog under . Again I enjoyed tangling your challenge.
Best wishes from Germany


From Susan (United Kingdom) ~
Happy Candy Corn Day! I wish that we had them in the UK so that I could celebrate with you. Eat one for me!



From Trudi (Woodview, Ontario, Canada) ~
Adele I love Candy Corn! I have some in my pantry right now that I use in making a Kit Kat Bar cookie for my Christmas baking, it's so hard not to eat it when you have to buy it months ahead of time. I was trying so hard to forget it was there, this has been a real test of my diet


From Beth Gaughan (North Carolina) ~
Here is my "canny corn" tile for this week's challenge. Wishing you and your family a safe and happy Halloween!


From Hilary (Chicago) ~
Here's my #217. I used Gelatos to color the background and I'm really happy with how bright the colors are. Using pen over the background went well, but shading with pencil was difficult and I'm not happy with that. I was busy with Cracked and N'Zeppel and thought I might have to omit Tira, but I managed to squeeze it in.


From Lori Byerly (Washington State) and here on her website ~
What a fun challenge for this time of year. Candy corn is one of my favorites too.


From Susie (St. Louis, Missouri) ~
Happy Halloween to all from Susie in St. Louis


From Aileen (Singapore) ~
Happy Halloween!


From Kate (United Kingdom) ~
I'm not able to contribute to your challenge as often as I'd like at the
moment, but really enjoyed being able to complete IAST 217. I did wonder
if I would be able to fit in any Tira but they seemed just to appear
into some of the Z'Zeppel centres!


From Simone Menzel, CZT (Germany) ~
Happy Candy Corn Day, dear Adele!
How funny and sweet to celebrate a candy day - I did not have the opportunity yet to try Candy Corn but it looks yummy!
And I had a lot of fun this afternoon with this tile and your string and the tangles. (And I did not need any sweets ;-)
`Nzeppel is one of my favourites , the other ones were new to me. Especially Tira surprised me and I am sure to use it again! Thank you for the inspiration! And Cracked is a crazy variation of Knightsbridge- very nice!!
Here is my contribution to IAST#127 - I love the result:


From Sra (India) ~
Here's my rendition of the candy corn string. I have loved Crackd ever since I learnt the tangle in a Tan Tile class recently and my first instinct was to fill the empty spaces around the candy with it. But I had very little time - and sanity prevailed, so I restricted it to the spaces created between the string lines in the corners. Realising that the tips of the candy corn triangles could turn into the 'U' s of the Tira was another brainwave. Then I decided to Tranzend it. And did an N'Zeppel just to include it. So much going on in that tile but this is one tile where I felt like a free spirit, not bothering about how it looks.


From Karen Hertowski (Atlanta, Georgia) ~
Here is my interpretation of this week's challenge. Loved it!! What great fun! Guess what I found in my shopping cart at the grocery store this week? “Cannie Corns”! Just for color and drawing samples, of course.
Thanks to you for this wonderful string and to Ragged Ray, Lori Howe, and our beloved Rick and Maria (I have been with them since 2009) for these beautiful tangles. You are all awesome!!


From Sharon Fite (California) ~
Getting in the Halloween mood with this fun challenge. I added Gourdgeous, spiderwebs, and fashioned Tira into little spiders with red eyes. Fun!


From Sue Agnew (Tucson, Arizona) ~
This afternoon I went to CZT Gale Sherman's house for an Open Studio. I brought the #217 assignment and my sketchbook where I had been playing with ideas. Gale said that events combined this week so that she didn't have time to do this week's challenge but that she'd thought of using the Tranzending technique for the "top" candy corn. She said "I'm not telling you to do it, just telling you I'd thought of it." My "plan" was to do foreground Tiras, and then n'Zeppel in the background in the candy corn shapes, and as a nod to Cracked, filling in alternate triangles. (It may not surprise you that I'd figured out a stripey-sparkly way to do it.)
However, on the drive home I thought of the Tranzending video we'd watched and how Rick added a dewdrop on top of a tile, and I thought of doing the "top" candy corn shape as a dewdrop. But then I thought (we'd talked about how his dewdrop didn't really magnify what was beneath it since it was added afterwards) why wait to do the dewdrop later. And also, I could add the Tiras later in a Tranzending fashion rather than drawing the n'Zeppels behind in a Hollibaugh fashion. So that's basically what I did, only it felt so busy already I decided to forgo filling in every other square. I also wanted to add more Tiras but decided enough is enough.
Hope that made sense. Here it is!



From Cyndee Pelley (Oklahoma) and here on her blog ~
Hi Adele, greetings from Oklahoma! Thanks for another great It's a String Thing challenge! I've never been a fan of candy corn but is certainly iconic this time of year. I'm a long time fan of N'Zeppel and had never tried Tira or Cracked. I didn't expect to be a fan of either, but I loved the Mosaic quality I got with cracked in color. Tira was also an unexpected delight and I'm itching to do a monotangle now!
Thank you also for your frequent words of wisdom. I needed to borrow your "reformed perfectionist" this week. Just wonderful and such a good description of what I'm aspiring to!





From Priscilla DeConti, CZT (Kingston, New York) ~
Enjoyed the new tangles for me cracked and tira..And I love n'zeppel which used to be a mystery to me
Thanks for all you do.
Have a blessed week



From Ute Andresen (Germany) and here on her blog ~
here I send you my contribution for It’s a String Thing.
My version of Candy-Corns.
This was nice. Naturally I used my orange fineliner and brushpen again and the coloured pencils in adequate colours. ... :-)
In Germany there are no Candy-Corns. I’ve read a little bit about it. I think they have to be very, very sweet. Am I right?
But apparently they seem to be delicious.
Happy All Hallows’ Eve!



From Sharyn Penna (Massachusettes) ~
While I have zero musical talents, I saw guitar picks in the candy corn string. And once my tile was complete I heard in my head Annie Lennox singing ‘Walking on Broken Glass’. Smiles and cheers to your annual cannie corn prompts!




From Rhonda, CZT11 (Macon, Georgia) ~
It’s been a while since I had used N’zeppel; l love the flower that appears when drawing it in a grid.


From Felicity Strohfeldt (South Africa) and here on her blog ~
Tile 217 familiar as this is the 3rd time participating. Perhaps it’s rather busy, but I enjoyed the two methods of approaching N’zeppel, it’s become one of my favourite. Really will have to aim for bit more open white space. Get carried away once I settle to start.
Happy tangling all.


From Lin H, CZT (Florida) ~
Thanks for another great Halloween-themed challenge, Adele. I couldn’t quite fit Cracked into the string but had fun with ‘nzeppel and Tira!



Thank you all for inspiring us with your tributes to "Cannie Corns".  They made me smile and they made me very hungry!

Many thanks to the creators of the tangles we used with my string:

N'Zeppel by Rick Roberts and Maria Thomas

Cracked by Lori Howe

Tira by Ragged Ray

Check back on Tuesday afternoon for "It's a String Thing" # 218!

3 comments:

  1. I didn't have time to do a tile this week. But what joy to sit this morning and look through these works of art, and read about how people found it to use my Tira tangle. Thank you everyone. Thank you Adele!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the round-up! - Sra

    ReplyDelete