Monday, July 10, 2017

"It's a String Thing" #202 Tiles


The skies were ablaze with fireworks in this week's tiles as we celebrated Canada Day and the Fourth of July.  We enthusiastically welcome three new tanglers to our community this week as well, let's take a look ~

The first arrived from Susie (St. Louis, Missouri) ~

Tangled Tidbits -
*dotted surrounds of CO2
*pops of color in centers of all three tangles


From Trudi (Woodview, Ontario, Canada) ~
What a lovely wedding gift for The Almonds! Did you do one for your daughter too? I didn't get to go see the fireworks this year as the running lights on the boat are not working and as there were rainstorms just before and after I didn't complain. So with this week's Challenge we got to make our own! Thanks Adele!
Tangled Tidbits -
(Trudi referred to last week's post - Link ) Thanks for the idea, I will have to!
*colorful bursts of tangles
*Pop-Cloud cluster contrasts in black and white


From Susan (United Kingdom) ~
A quick but colourful entry this week.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*Xplode springs from the corners of the border and along the string lines
*blue Pop-Cloud tops


From Ilse Lukken (The Netherlands) and here on her blog ~
Happy Fourth of July!
 Tangled Tidbits -
*layers of large, shaded Pop-Cloud
*shaded circle centers of CO2


From Beth Gaughan (North Carolina) ~
I'm continuing to enjoy your trip to Italy, thank you for sharing the trip with us!


Tangled Tidbits - 
*darkened spaces between Pop-Cloud
*two Xplode feature softly shaded center points



From Gabriela Garcia (Alberta, Canada) and here on her blog ~
Thank You Adele for another great challenge. I was so relaxed decorating "Pop-Cloud's" auras that I went a little overboard, but I quite enjoyed it! I think "X-plode" and CO2" kind of look like fireworks ;-)
Greeting from Canada!
 Tangled Tidbits -
*brilliant yellow/green shines along with white on black
*perfs, sparkled stripes, dark centers - delightfully detailed Pop-Cloud



From Jenny Hopkins (Australia) ~
Thank you for another challenging challenge. I hope you have enjoyed your July 4th celebrations.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*multiple layers of lovely Pop-Cloud
*CO2 and Pop-Cloud diminish as they rise toward one large Xplode


From Shirley Wohlsen (Queensland, Australia) ~
Thank you again for some lovely tangles ‘Pop- Cloud’ is a wonderful tangle to draw, I love it.
Attached is my tile for ‘ It’s A String Thing # 202 ‘Challenge.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*shading accentuates the curves and layers of Pop-Cloud
*short and long lines of Xplode - adds fullness



From Susie (Thailand) ~
Till a few hours ago (it is now 5pm Sat) I had no idea what on earth I am going to draw and subsequently send to you. I played with the idea to send you a blank tile, pretending I attached the wrong one. But then I remembered what my YOGA teacher used to say when he wanted us to do pose everyone in the class wasn’t up to:
Don’t think, just do it.
Voila! Here my tile. Representing the present overcast, grey weather we have with the occasional sun spots through the clouds.
And now I can say: Thank you so much, Adele, for an “ARGH!!” challenge that in the end was quite a lot of fun to do.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*marvelous Pop-Cloud, hints of blue, elegant initial curved lines
*light and dark tips of Xplode - some drifting up and away
*bright a beautiful pops of yellow


From Sharyn Penna (Massachusetts) ~
Oh my word ... the gilded zendala gift is absolutely stunning. I love the subtle heart surround at the top of the A ... just breathtaking.
Firework galore this week ... let the base drum-booms fill our hearts!
Cheers to the 4th!
 Tangled Tidbits -
Thank you, Sharon :)
*wonderfully weighted Pop-Cloud lines
*Xplode reaches to the far corners of the tile


From Sra (India) ~
This tile ran amok, it ended up losing the string!
 Tangled Tidbits -
Congratulations for that!
*energy of the Xplode burst carried outward by Pop-Cloud, CO2 and smaller Xplode
*Pop-Cloud shaded centers



From Jutta Gladnigg, CZT (NRW, Germany) ~
This challenge brings back wonderful memories...!
It was IAST 150 when I first found your site and took part in the first tangle challenge of my life! And then... IAST 151... this was the second tile I sent to you commemorating July, 4th! So a year has passed and I am still (and even more) enthusiastic about tangling. You have contributed so so much to that!!! Thank you again, dear Adele!
Tangled Tidbits -
...and now you are a CZT - congratulations, Jutta!
*glorious layering, shading, details, and highlights
*triangles in triangles tip Xplode



From Mariam G (Port Hueneme, California) ~
We had our usual 4th here on the coast - upper 'marine layer' (aka 'fog) that masked the fireworks as they went higher. So, decided to depict how our local display appeared. However, I couldn't decide on white or black tiles, so I did both. I'm not thrilled with either, but it was fun. (The black does not show the glitter of the gel pens and on the white you can barely see the shine from my Wink of Stella pen. They are better in person (-: )
Thanks for wonderful challenge. Oh and those lovely little books from Fabriano are beautiful, aren't they? Thank you for taking us on this magical tour with you - so much fun!

Tangled Tidbits -
*CO2 pops through Pop-Cloud
*colorful Xplode
*wonderful imagery of fireworks in a cloudy night sky
Wink of Stella - though not visible in the photo - is a great tool to add sparkle to your tangles.


From Ingrid (The Netherlands) ~
It seems that the 4th of July has become a very (pop)cloudy day in my tile.
Anyway I hope that all Americans had a very festive day on the 4th of July.
And I also had fun doing this tile.
Tangled Tidbits -
*shaded centers and curves of Pop-Cloud surrounded by deep, dark background
*multi-lined colorful burst of Xplode



From Margarete Gilge (Germany) and here on her blog ~
Thank you for the friendly and warm welcome to your community and the entry on your tangled map. The new issue was really a challenge, because I didn’t use the three tangle patterns so far. For fireworks in the night sky, however, they are very nice.
Greetings from Germany
Tangled Tidbits -
*pretty colors illuminate the tangles
*Xplode overlaps Pop-Cloud


A very warm welcome to Carol Johnson (Connecticut) ~
Attached is my tile for #202. This is my first time submitting a tile - thanks for the challenge! All of the patterns were new to me and I really enjoyed it.
Tangled Tidbits -
*Xplode stretches between shaded string lines
*lovely shading and detail lines of Pop-cloud layers
Welcome to IAST, Carol, and welcome to our tangled map!



From Teddy G (Maryland) ~
Here's my entry for IAST 202. All of the tangles were new to me; Pop-Cloud was challenging. The combination of Xplode and CO2 reminded me of sparklers which went with the 4th of July. Thanks for the weekly challenges.
Tangled Tidbits -
*CO2 filled centers of Pop-Cloud and tips of Xplode - how fun!
*flag tipped Xplode (Can't you just hear the patriotic music?!)



From Cat (Winston, Oregon) ~
It's been such a very long time since I've submitted a tile. So long, in fact, that as you can see my Sakura Pigma Micron pens are nearly dried out and in dire need of replacement! Needless to say, with dried out pens I'm not terribly pleased with the way this tile turned out, but I decided to send it anyway and help you celebrate Independence Day!
I'm really hoping to get back into doing Zentangle and ZIA, and what better place to restart than with your weekly challenge! I just need a little extra kick in the pants to just DO IT. There are just so many things that I want and need to do, but only so many days/hours to do them.Thanks as always, Adele, for taking the time to do this weekly challenge of yours. I don't know how many people realize how much time and effort it takes for you to do this, but I do... and I truly appreciate it.
Tangled Tidbits -
Thank you and welcome back, Cat!  Pens, in all stages of use, add to the character of a tile :)
*Tripoli tipped Xplode
*layers of Pop-Cloud curves


From Priscilla DeConti (Upstate, New York) ~
Ok these were not my favorite tangles LOL yet I did give it a college try with the string
Thanks
Tangled Tidbits -
*CO2 filled Pop-Cloud
*Xplode shaded on each line



From Sue Leslie, CZT 22 (New Mexico) ~
Thanks for a fun challenge with 3 new tangles for me
 Tangled Tidbits -
*lovely layers of all three tangles
*soft shading adds depth



From Jody Genovese, CZT (New York) ~
Hope you had a safe and Happy July 4th. Still loving your adventures in Italy..this last one with your paper purchases had me drooling!
It must have been so hard not to take home one of each.
Tangled Tidbits -
Yes, it really was ;)
*a festive Xplode party - complete with fun finishes
*CO2 bubbles up, around, and over the tangles



From Sue Agnew (Tucson, Arizona) ~
The world keeps spinning — the #200 celebration is over and it's already time for #202! Fortunately the party continues.
Not sure if I like this one. I was experimenting with oversize, "less is more," and drawing behind (I intuitively want to think background first and then come forward, like in the drip paintings I'm doing, unlike Zentangle). Anyway, it is what it is, and it is far too hot in my office/studio (we're having record heat in Arizona and my office/studio was added on so isn't part of the HVAC system and besides that has a west-facing wall, so it gets hot by mid-afternoon) to do anything more than scan it and send it.
Thank you for continuing your Tickled to Tangle project!
Tangled Tidbits -
(It is refreshing - despite you heat - to be treated to your tangle style again, Sue.)
*sparkled arcs of Pop-Cloud hints
*tips of Xplode lines grace each dip of Pop-Cloud


From Tonia Croce (Rhode Island) ~

Tangled Tidbits -
*billowy clusters of Pop-Cloud
*two large Xplode in opposite corners



A very warm welcome to Aileen (Singapore) and also on her blog ~
Hope [I] am in time for my first ever It's a string thing challenge.
Rainbows and raindrops In sunny Singapore

Tangled Tidbits -
*lovely combination of tangles
*shaded string lines and a touch of sparkle
Welcome to IAST and to our tangled map, Aileen.


From Lily Moon (Hungary) ~
Dear Adele, here is my tile for your weekly challenge.
Tangled Tidbits -
*alternating light and deep dark string sections filled with beautiful tangles
*Xplode features one white center line and luscious layers of Pop-Cloud top off the tile


From Brenda Urbanik, CZT 13 (Knysna, Western Cape, South Africa) and here on her blog ~
I am so happy I got to play with your latest challenge. You can see all the details on my blog post, link below.
I am trying to be a little braver with adding graphite and white charcoal pencil highlights!We are have some much needed rain today so I am feeling very blessed. This should help in dampening some of the lingering fires and hot spots.
Tangled Tidbits -
*spectacular layering and details of Pop-Cloud - dark centers, highlights, shading, brown in between spaces
*smattering of white outlined Xplode lines



From Vonnie Schneider (St. Paul, Minnesota) ~

Tangled Tidbits -
*one large Xplode reaches over puffy layers of Pop-Cloud
*touch of color for CO2


From Anita A Westin (Sweden) and here on her blog ~
Here is my entry for IAST 202. This was a challenge to do, but I am happy I did go for it. Popcloud is my favourite in this challenge. But am happy I made this!
Thank´s Adele for giving us new experiences every week!
Tangled Tidbits -
*dark, sparkled, and shaded string lines
*Pop-Cloud fills the string space to the brim - wonderful contrast to the lighter CO2


A very warm welcome to Laurel Davis, CZT 28 (New York) ~
I have been looking at all the beautiful work displayed on your site and having just completed CZT #28, I now have the confidence to submit something. My sister, a retired art teacher, liked it better turned upside down!
 Tangled Tidbits -
*beautifully bright tangles on black paper
*CO2 tipped Xplode and CO2 floating through Pop-Cloud
Welcome to our IAST community and welcome to our tangled map, Laurel ~


From Felicity Strohfeldt (South Africa) and here on her blog ~
Felicity and her husband, Willie, recently celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary. CONGRATULATIONS !!  Our best wishes to you both for this rare and wonderful milestone!
...to Tile 202, the Independence Day tile. I enjoyed all the patterns and I see a bit of Willie and myself as described above in the finished tile. The hollibaughing Pop-cloud is the emulsion being shaken up, then comes the Xploding of ideas and the larger Pop-Clouds are the results and the happy, slightly different Co2’s the feeling of achievements and happiness at being able to do all this together even after 50 years. Thank you, Carla du Preez, Antoine Megger and Margaret McKerihan for the lovely patterns and you Adele for the challenge.

Tangled Tidbits - 
*sensational Pop-Cloud - double lined, striped and sparkled, too!
*Xplode explodes between Pop-Cloud layers



And now...

the tile for honors this week...

was sent in by...

Sharon Fite from California!

Sharon wrote:
Hi Adele, I love the tangles and this one-sided string. I've used PopCloud before, but really enjoyed the process of drawing it this time. I made some tiles with new watercolor pens I got for my birthday last week, and one fit the string to a tee. Reminds me that no matter how dark it may be, a sunbeam will break through. It also reminds me that even though it's 106 degrees today in the Central Valley, we were blessed with lots of rain this spring.

Tangled Tidbits - 
*wonderfully positive sentiment to accompany the tangles
*billowing Pop-Cloud - as it flows along the colors on the tile - moves from dark to light
*sunshine rays of Xplode
*sunny centers of CO2


Congratulations, Sharon!

I have a little some thing coming in the mail for you.



Many thanks to everyone for sending in your precious tiles.  You inspire all of us and help build this wonderfully supportive IAST community.

Kudos to the creators of the tangles we used this week:

Pop-Cloud by Carla du Preez

Xplode by Margaret McKerihan

CO2 by Antonine Megger



Continued thanks for the compliments on the posts of my "Paper Pilgrimage" to Fabriano, Italy.  Part IX is coming on Thursday ♡.

Check back Tuesday afternoon for "It's a String Thing" #203!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the round-up and the comments!
    Sra

    ReplyDelete