Monday, May 29, 2017

"It's a String Thing" #196 Tiles

I am posting the results of two IASTs today, so just in case you missed the results of IAST #195,
click here to view them.

We took time this week to explore Inadari Novello's new flower inspired Plingh, and create a monotangle.

Here are the elegant results ~

The first tile arrived from Ilse Lukken (The Netherlands) and here on her blog ~
Thank you for letting me discover Plingh!
Tangled Tidbits -
*short and elongated lines
*blackened aura-ed middle arc
*light and dark perfs


From Shirley Wohlsen (Queensland, Australia) ~
I did so much enjoy- Indrani Novello- Tangle pattern ‘Plingh’
I started with the string in the position you had it drawn, Adele, but after completing my tile I accidentally scanned it side on, as it can be viewed from any angle and I liked it the way I had scanned it I went with it that way.
Attached is my side on view of - It’s A String Thing #196 – Challenge.

...and that is just what a string provides - multiple orientations...
Tangled Tidbits - 
*delicate Plingh - larger corner Plingh spill into smaller ones
*aura, black sparkled perfs, and soft shading


From Hilary (Chicago) ~
Good morning Adele,
Congratulations on your "baby's" graduation! You've got a wonderful looking family and I'm sure they bring you much joy.
I really liked this week's pattern, so thanks for the opportunity to use it. And once more, thanks for all your hard work and the hours you must put into these challenges.
Tangled Tidbits -
*double row of Plingh, clusters, and one large Plingh
*pretty colors, shading, and highlights



From Jane Rhea (Indiana) ~
Tangled Tidbits -
*stippled accents add a delicate look
*mirrored, single, and doubled Plingh



From Ragged Ray (United Kingdom) ~
It seems as if summer has finally arrived here in the UK – the temperature is rising, long sleeves are swapped for short, but also comes the forecast that its only set to last for a couple more days! But I think the sun cast its spell on my tile for this week.
As soon as I saw Plingh I knew my black pen would be in for a lot of work. I chose a tile I previously coloured with distress inks, hot shades in a palette I don't usually work with. A bold band of Plingh right across the middle, and a little more in the corner. A dash of shading and a few tiny spots of white and there it is. It reminds me of a small red palm tree we used to have, and the incredible shadows it cast. And also of the tie-dyed skirts I wore when I was younger and how their colours would sometimes bleed onto my skin.



Tangled Tidbits - 
*colorful imagery and tangles
*sparkles repeat in perfs and tips of Plingh


From Trudi (Woodview, Ontario, Canada) ~ 
Buongiorno! I feel we are still touring Italy :)
Not happy with my colours but I do like my monotangle.
Tangled Tidbits -
*large Plingh bordered with rims of smaller Plingh
*awesome aura



From Kim Winebrenner, CZT 11 (Ohio) ~
Here is my attempt at 196.
Tangled Tidbits -
*mirrored and single Plingh
*light touch of shading and sprinkle of perfs



From Ingrid (The Netherlands) ~
Congratulations on your daughter Isabella's graduation! What a cheerful day it must have been to have all your children together with you on that day. And I can imagine they make you a very proud mom!!!

Thank you for the next episode of your Italian adventures. Love to read them. You ended the last post with a thrilling clifhanger. So curious who was calling you and your husband..........?????/
In the attachment my IAST # 196 tile for this week. A light and airy one it has become.
In The Netherlands finally we have some hot and lazy summer days which I am enjoying very much.

Thank you for all of the good wishes.  Thursday's post is just a bit away:)
Tangled Tidbits -
*blackened centers and soft shading
*sparkled centers spill over to the perf dotted white spaces



From Susie (Thailand) and here on her blog ~
Great choice this week. I love monotangles. Why? Because I don’t have to think about what other tangles to use. Choosing is so hard when we have thousands of beautiful tangles to pick from. All in all I made 4: a red, a blue, a white and one on recycled paper. I couldn’t decide which one to send to you so I made my webpage first to look at them in one setting. à I got stuck at red and blue.
To make life easy for me, I send you both and let you decide which one to place with all the other entries.
Thank you so much, Adele, for yet another great weekly challenge.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*inner aura, alternating colors and shading
*highlights, shading, stipple - wonderful details
*bright, glowing highlights
*sparkled detail lines, dark spaces between tangle sections, and soft shading


From Ellie Miller (Sint Marteen) ~
Tangled Tidbits -
*colorful tangles on black
*aura and highlights add depth


From Tonia (Rhode Island) ~
I liked the string for this challenge. Got me out of my comfort zone of tangling small. I enjoyed learning #Plingh.
Thank you and have a wonderful holiday weekend!
Tangled Tidbits -
*arcs of elongated Plingh
*pleasing balance of light, dark, and shading


From Teddy G (Maryland) ~
Thank you for the challenges. I enjoy seeing all the contributions.  
Tangled Tidbits -
*white on black and black on white tangles
*weighted lines and alternating light and dark aura


From Jody Genovese, CZT (New York) ~
Congratulations to Isabella on her graduation! I loved the picture of your children. They are all beautiful and handsome like their parents. You are so blessed.
I am loving your stories of Italy and how you are teasing us and keeping us on the edge of our seats for the next installment! I so feel like I am right there with you on the journey. What an wonderful trip. So happy you were able to take it and also that you are sharing it with all of us.
Please find my #196 tile attached. I decided to go tan this week…
Thank you for the good wishes, and I am happy to know you feel like you are on our trip, because you are :)
Tangled Tidbits -
*creative details - sparkled stripes, diagonal grids, sparkle, aura, perfs...
*waves of interesting aura alternate color


From Sharon Fite (California) ~
Plingh is an interesting tangle, and this was a fun string! Here it is with Fe-Ba and Crescent Moon. Thanks for all you do for us!
Tangled Tidbits -
*pretty combination of tangles
*aura, perfs, and white chalk highlights



From Sharyn Penna, CZT (Massachusetts) ~
First, thank you for sharing a picture of your beautiful family! It's nice to put faces to tangle names!
Second, Your Paper Pilgrimage is such a treat ... can't wait for the next installment! And are you planning another trip?
And this week's prompt ... I (obviously) went with a light and dark tile ... two reasons ... it's something I've been wanting to try my hand at and I think it reflects the climate of the world this week.
Microns 01 and 08 (for all that background), 2B and 4B graphites, white gelly roll pen and white charcoal pencil.
The red background sits on your beautiful frame ... the tile sort of melted into the frame without the contrast.
Sending warm thoughts to all the hearts breaking all around the world. Stay safe friends!
Thank you, Sharyn.  We do plan to return to Italy sometime in the next three or four years.  It just may take me that long to write about this last trip :)
Tangled Tidbits -
*wonderful contrasts of light and dark - thank you for listing your supplies and process
*shading and white charcoal soften both white and black tangles



From Lisette (Switzerland) ~
Dear Adele and everybody,
Plingh was definitively a chalenge for me. I did several attempts, black on white, with color, etc. But I liked the white on black best, it’s kind of “lacey” (a word which probalby doesn’t exist…) I mean lace like. An it fits to the beautiful summerweather we are enjoying in Switzerland. And thank you for your posts from Italy!
 Tangled Tidbits -
*perf accented loops and aura create beautiful borders
*Florz grid has wonderful movement


And now...

the tile for honors this week...

was sent in by...

Marla Mendenhall from California!

Marla wrote:

From Marla Mendenhall (California) ~
I don't often find myself interested in monotangles, but this new pattern by Inadari Novello has, as Adele said, myriad possibilities and I enjoyed exploring five of them.
Tangled Tidbits - 
*five glorious variations sure to make Inadari proud
*intricate aura, soft shading, perfs, curls, weighted lines - sublime details

Congratulations, Marla!

I have a little something coming in the mail for you.
Many thanks to everyone for sending in your precious tiles.  You inspire all of us and help build this wonderfully supportive IAST community.

Kudos to Inadari Novello for her new flower inspired Plingh that we used with my string.

Continued thanks to all for the compliments on the posts of our "Paper Pilgrimage" to Fabriano, Italy.  Part V is coming on Thursday ♡...

Check back Tuesday afternoon for "It's a String Thing" #197!




No comments:

Post a Comment