Monday, December 14, 2015

"It's a String Thing" #122 Tiles

Our tree themed #121 challenge continued on this week with the evergreen inspired tangle Verdigogh by Maria Thomas.
We paired it with two other patterns that both shared a 'Y' in their step out.

Some participants reported that 63Y was especially challenging.   
On Thursday I will post "Tips for Tangling 63Y".  
I've come up with an alternative step out and I am confident it will make drawing the pattern much more 'zen' like to draw. 

Let's take a look at this week's tiles ~

The first arrived from Bhamathi (Bangalore, India) and here on her blog ~
Thanks for another fun to do challenge. It was 30 minutes of pure bliss!!
I had never done Kuke before but its a easy-to-remember tangle. I had given up on doing 63Y. I never get it right, so I decided to do just one of it!
I have used colors again and this time some glitter too. But I could not get the glitter to show up in the photo clearly.



Tangled Tidbits - 
*63Y filled Verdigogh circle
*multiple, colorful Kuke
It is good to have both photos to see the lovely sheen of the glitter.


This is my tile ~
I began with a single Verdigogh branch fully intending to add more along the string line.  Once it was completed, I changed my mind and let it stand alone.  My lines for 63Y followed the curve of the string and one large Kuke filled in the circle.


From Sarah (Michigan) and Teigr the corgi at hungrycorgistudio ~
Here is my entry for this week. We could choose three tangles, but I chose just one. I stayed in the string too!
I'm beginning to understand tangling and ability to do certain things. I'm not multi-dimensional, will never contort a tangle or make it 'shine' the way others do, but my flat, well loved tangles tell the story of someone who loves the art of it and that is beautiful in itself.
I do get discouraged and wish sometimes I could do what others do, but what we each do brings something beautiful to the table. Maybe just a curve in a line, maybe a drop shadow. Seeing what we do together is a really enjoyable and lovely.
Thanks,
Tangled Tidbits -
*pretty aura and shading
*varied line weight
Sarah's sentiments are beautifully stated.  They echo the Bijou-isms that Rick and Maria are publishing for the 12 days of Christmas on the Zentangle® blog.  They are very good reading and wonderful reminders of the magic and joy of Zentangle - www.zentangle.blogspot.com


From CZT Lucy Banta (New Jersey) ~
Hope you're enjoying the Christmas season! Here's my tile for the week.
Tangled Tidbits - 
*pretty stack of Kuke
*sparkled berries throughout


From Michele Wynne (California) -
Here's challenge #122 and what a challenge it was! "63Y" vexed me to no end but I persevered. I went back and looked at Linda Farmer's tip of using a zig-zag within the diamonds. It was the key to unlocking this for me.
Once I started the tile though "Verdigogh" had other ideas;-) I wrote a bit about it here on my blog.
Thanks again for another challenging challenge!

Tangled Tidbits - 
*Kuke and 63Y filled circles
*lovely layers of Verdigogh

From Cathy Cusson ~
I kept it very simple as everything else is quite hectic! My classroom is buzzing with Christmas art and projects! So I needed very simple and relaxing.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*simple, relaxing, and elegant
*aura-ed Verdigogh


From Ilse Lukken (The Netherlands) and here on her blog ~
Nice strings, nice patterns!
 Tangled Tidbits -
*a pop of Kuke in the corner
*shading and sparkled berries of Verdigogh


From Hilary Merola  (Chicago, Illinois) ~
My first attempt was cluttered and chaotic, so I went for something a bit less busy. Naturally I think it's a little too opened and airy, but I still like how it turned out! Kuke and 63Y were both new to me, but I plan on using them a lot.
Tangled Tidbits -
*Pokeroot-like tips of Verdigogh
*wonderful Kuke flowers

From smgg (Tiawan) ~
Have a nice day!!

Tangled Tidbits -
*multiple variations of 63Y
*Verdigogh tipped with Kuke


From Anita A Westin (Dalarna, Sweden) ~
First of all: What a lovely string! I will use it more than one time! I´ve not tried Kuke before. I liked it and wanted to keep it in focus, so I left the gridpattern behind! This is what came out. With a little web instead.

Tangled Tidbits -
*clever take on 63Y
*Verdigogh string line with Kuke orbs


From Joan Delony, CZT (Florida) ~
I am attending a 3 day glass workshop and couldn't sleep because my brain is buzzing with ideas. Tangling helped me focus and relax so I could finally get some sleep before my brain starts whirring again.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*wispy Verdigogh
*dark, sparkled ribbon - an elegant hanger for a Kuke ornament


From Jennifer Sparrow (North Carolina) ~
I almost had a meltdown when I saw this!!! (63-Y. Does it every time.) But I pulled my zentangle self together instead. I think I pulled off the 63-Y, but mostly by drawing rather than repeated steps :( Thanks for a fun challenge and your hilarious Words of Wisdom!
Tangled Tidbits -
*three variations of 63Y
*layers of Verdigogh looked plucked from a tree


From Kate (United Kingdom) -
My contribution to this week's challenge, looking forward to seeing how
everyone's done!
Tangled Tidbits -
*Verdigogh berries repeat in Kuke
*fabulous 63Y

From Beth Gaughan (North Carolina) -
Here is my tile for this week's challenge. Thanks for the fun!

Tangled Tidbits -
*shaded string line adds a layered look
*Kuke repeats in 63Y - very clever


From Wanda Amorose (Chesapeake, Virginia) -
This is my attempt at #122. It seems the busier I am during the week, the busier my tangle turns out. As I always say, life long learning, and loving it!! The countdown to Christmas certainly in full force!!
Tangled Tidbits -
*mulit-colored Verdigogh
*a burst of Verdigogh from the string's circle


From Karin (Germany) -
I already knew “Verdigogh” and I think it keeps the Christmas Spirit alive as you intended.
I wanted to tangle 63y ​ as a Background to the branches of Verdigogh but at the end there was no place left. Very sad. Too much Kuke
Greetings from Germany!

Tangled Tidbits -
*Kuke border - what a great idea!
*shaded string line with Verdigogh sprigs throughout


From Becky Welty (North Carolina) -
When I saw the tangles we were supposed to use, I immediately thought of a Christmas tree, ornaments, and snow. Happy Holidays everyone!
 Tangled Tidbits -
*beautiful 63Y 'snowflakes'
*colorful Kuke ornaments


From Jessie Plouffe (Connecticut) -
Here is my submission for this week. I decided to use the shading mostly as a third tone, rather than to add dimension.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*Kuke pops with the shaded spaces
*Verdigogh peeks from behind the string line


From Karina L'Estrelle (Perth, Australia) -
I found Verdigogh difficult to draw but loved this challenge.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*contrasting large and small 63Y with Kuke loops in the larger one
*string circle of Verdigogh


From Susan Theron (South Africa) -
I loved this challenge.
Tangled Tidbits -
*lovely flower-like variation of 63Y
*overlapping Verdigogh


From Elisa (Paris, France) -
Here's my tile for challenge 122. I had fun letting each tangle kind of melt into its neighbor. All patterns were new to me. I enjoyed Kuke and 63Y and will certainly play with them again!

Tangled Tidbits -
*neighboring tangles "melt" into each other - a very lovely description
*four gorgeous variations of 63Y


From Deepti (India) ~
Thank you for your comments on my Christmas tree using Aquafleur. It was a delight to see the other entries as well.
Attached with this email is my attempt at this week's It's a string thing. I do realize that I am two days too late.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*fabulous use of Tipple
*Pokeroot tips for Verdigogh


And now... the tile for honors this week...was sent in by ~
Joanne Faherty from The United Kingdom!

Jaonne wrote ~
Hi Adele, loved this weeks its a string thing. I already knew verdigogh and kuke, so that left my to learn 63Y , it took a while to get my head around this but followed the alternative step outs doing zigzag for the 'Y' part and then joining it up. Still a bit wonky but better :) then the little black pearls sneaked in all over the place. I like this tile though 

Tangled Tidbits -
*feathery look for Verdigogh
*four orbs of Kuke feature four variations
*back drop of 63Y
*black sparkled berries of Verdigogh spill over to the rest of the tile
*sublime shading

Congratulations, Joanne!  I have a little something coming in the mail for you.


Many thanks to the artists who sent in their beautiful tiles this week.  I know that this is a very busy time of year and am happy to read that this challenge provided a much needed break - an excuse to slow down and enjoy some creative time.

Special thanks to the artists behind the patterns we enjoyed using along with my string ~

Verdigogh by Zentangle® co-founder Maria Thomas

Kuke by CZT Katy Abbott

63Y by CZT Hsin-Ya Hsu

Stop back tomorrow afternoon for "It's a String Thing" #123!

4 comments:

  1. :) thanks Adele I'm so honoured to have tile of the week:)thank you so much!. Joanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful gallery show! I'm always amazed at the variety of interpretations and creativity these challenges spark but this was particularly awesome. Congrats to Joanne!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to Joanne! Unbelievable dimension and depth. Lovely. Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheery and merry tangling -- wonderful tiles!

    ReplyDelete