Monday, October 5, 2015

"It's a String Thing" #112 Tiles

 This week, with the World Heart Day on our minds, we used two heart inspired tangles along with my newest, Kisses.  Three lovely tangles and a simple string line yielded very elegant results.

Let's take a look ~

The first tile arrived from Juul in France ~ who we all send best wishes to as she is dealing with heart health issues...
I didn't know about the world heart day!!!...I will be in hospital when you post the tiles and I will feel it like a little greeting from all the participants......
Tangled Tidbits -
*multiple Minline emanating from one point 
*thicker detail lines wrap around Kisses
*soft shading


From Lily (Hungary) ~
here is my response for your weekly challenge.
Same time this is my first published tile for "InkTober 2015" drawing challenge.
ZenHug
Tangled Tidbtis - 
*Zinger-like tops for each Kiss curl
*curls repeat in all three of the tangles
*awesome aura


From Jennifer Sparrow (North Carolina) ~
I really enjoyed this week's challenge! I felt that the string and tangles played especially well together. The black area on my tile was a weird Easter Bunny thing in a previous life. My husband suggested a Bronx Cheer, but I decided to go all black and leave the edge of the bunny ear, which is now a floating strand of Puffles :) Here it is on my blog, with the long version of my story!
Tangled Tidbits -  ( her 'black solution' looks like it belongs! )
*sweet, simple Kisses
*one and two orbs for Puffle
*Puffle hearts left white, meld into Kisses


A very warm welcome to  Esther Ramstein (Switzerland) ~
I’m a newbie on Zentangle and already addicted.  For the first time I would like to participate on your String Thing challenge. I hope that I understood the guidelines correctly. Also the tile is published on my brand new Zentangle-BlogThank you for this interesting assignment.
I know that I’ve a lot to learn! Until now I did not have a Tortillon and fortunately yesterday night I learned how to make it myself 
Tangled Tidbits - 
*dark string line
*stacked Kisses
*graceful Puffle along the string line



From Sarah (Michigan) and on her blog ~
I used all three tangles, and had fun with doing them on a gray tile with bright pigment pens. Thought it went with the heart day theme!
Tangled Tidbits - 
*red for hearts!
*aura-ed Kisses and Minline
*repeated dots and triangles


From Ragged Ray (United Kingdom) ~
Lately I've been trying to turn a lack of time for tangling into an opportunity to practice the notion of 'less is more'. I long admire those tiles by others, where they seem to stop well short of over-loading, leaving plenty of white space and a real sense of 'ahhh'.

And I think I did it this week - using only a single strand of simplified Puffle, along the delightfully meandering string line. And then some auras on either side.
It makes me want to follow the line off the tile and see where it ends up. Or hold tight to the string, and imagine the glorious kite at the end of it!

Tangled Tidbits - 
*she makes the process sound so simple and inviting
*change in size of Puffle carries the eye along the string line and upward
*spectacular dark/light balance along with aura and fine lined detail

From Michele Wynne ~
Thanks for another fun challenge and for a lovely new tangle. I love all of these patterns, I really enjoyed working on this one as it gave me more shading opportunities than I initially planned. I went into it a little more on my blog.
Also, many thanks again for last weeks honors and for all of the work that you put into putting this out;-)

Tangled Tidbits - 
*swirls for Kisses
*Mooka infused Minline
*aura/shading extraordinaire 


From Talia Maynard (London, United Kingdom) ~
Another very tricky challenge. I couldn't get the 3 patterns to work together so they seem very separate on this tile. Which is a shame because they are all lovely tangles.
Tangled Tidbits - 
*tangles highlighted by deep, dark background
*single and double orbs for Puffle
*single, stacked, and free floating Kisses


From Joanne Faherty (United Kingdom) ~
Struggled a lot with this one drew the one where you can kind of see a string first didn't like it much drew the other one, not sure on that either. Then I was pulled away from them before finishing. I came back to them tonight still not impressed so I thought ok I'll share them see if that works some magic. Its made them better but not my best work ever. On to next week......



Tangled Tidbits - 
*wonderfully shaded tangles
*Puffle aura repeated in Minline and Kisses
*sparkle and shading


From Deb Jacob (Tichigan, Wisconsin) ~
Here in Wisconsin, we have had some beautiful fall days this week. Your tangeled pumpkins inspired me & I did 2 for a friend who is using them to decorate the porch at her shop. I loved the new tangles & the string. Kisses is still challenging me, so I'm going to need a little more practice before I use it. Thanks as always for your time & inspiration. Happy Fall. 
Tangled Tidbits - 
*a touch of Hamail from last week's challenge
*aura-ed Minline
*random orbs for Puffle


From Linda Goncalves (Pennsylvania) ~
I had fun with these. Still have much to learn about shading...
Tangled Tidbits - 
*Minline variation with addition of mini hearts
*heart centered Puffle
*various sizes of Kisses

From Annie Taylor (Spain) ~
The Diva challenge last week resulted in rather a lot of ink splattered paper in my house - hence the green inky background here.
Loved the tangles this week although I will definitely try and do Kisses greater justice in future.
Tangled Tidbits -
*alternating Kisses and Puffle
*aura-ed tangles
*cross-hatched and darkened spaces 


From Anita A Westin (Dalarna, Sweden) ~
Here comes my entry! I´ve tried the combinations twice, but I think I like my first better then my second. I might try one more though. Later…
Tangled Tidbits -
*pretty Puffle
*wavy detail lines for Kisses
*aura, dark spaces, dots, and a bit of stippling


From Jane Glotzer (Colorado) ~
Hmmm, not loving my entry that much, either, but here it is anyway...
Something "icky" happening where the two sections of string come together, and after tangling for a while, I got rid of the little loop that wasn't working for me, leaving me two large main sections, but I wasn't happy with that decision either...
I had started with the Minline, but wasn't thrilled with my placement...added an aura around the shapes before I filled in the black background...then I added the Puffle lines in the base hearts and Puffled the remaining spaces...went with the basic two-lobed heart version...I do like the red I added for a "pop" of color, along with a touch of shading...Alas, no room for any Kisses in the tile, but I wanted to acknowledge your pattern, so I added a few colorful Kisses to the space on the outside...looks yummy!
Tangled Tidbits -
*a trio of colorful Kisses
*great contrast with black spaces around the tangles
*soft shading


From Ingrid (The Netherlands) ~
Congratulations with your newest tangle "Kisses". A sweet and easy to go tangle pattern.
In the attachment my ST # 112 tile. This one I made with my sister in mind. With love, a big hug and lots of kisses for her. I had to color the hearts because i can't make them black.

Tangled Tidbits -
*beautiful colors
*dangling hearts
*wonderful detail lines in three variations of Kisses - love that double curl!


From Lisa Preston (Marietta, GA) ~
Well, I got excited this week and did two challenge tiles. One a "regular" Zentangle, and the other one of my few forays into ZIA. I read about a cool batik technique using a white glaze pen and watercolors and had to try it. I love the concept, but I think my tile looks a little bit like I didn't know when to stop. :) But I had fun with it and it looks like fall. My other one reminds me a bit of one of the large Chinese dragons used in parades.
I enjoyed all the tangles this week - particularly Puffle. I liked Kisses too, but at least for me, it's harder than it looks, so my apologies for mangling it!
Hope your weather has been dryer than ours... I can't wait to see the sun again!


Tangled Tidbits -
*the tangles flow easily from one to another
*patches of Minline (instead of single file lines)
*great contrast from a traditional tile to a beautifully colored ZIA


From Jessie Plouffe (Connecticut) ~
Here is my tile for this week's challenge. I like all three of these
tangles but have never before used any of them in a tile. I wasn't so
sure about this one while I was doing it, but now I'm really liking
it.
Tangled Tidbits - 
*comments reflective of a true tangling experience!
*Tipple between rows of Kisses
*dark centers of Puffle balance well with the dark diamonds of Minline

From Lori Byerly (Washington) ~
Fun challenge this week with your new pattern kisses. I can see a number of possible uses for it ~ filler, accent, etc. (I'm sure I'm not the only person who added chocolate to their shopping list this week.)
You may see my tile here also.
I added chocolate to my list!

Tangled Tidbtis - 
*softly shaded tangles
*varying sizes of Kisses
*a perfect puff of Puffle


From Joy (State College, Pennsylvania) ~
Enjoyed working with Minline and Kisses. Lots to learn.


Tangled Tidbits - 
*string lines of Puffle and Kisses
*clusters of Kisses
*repeated groupings of Minline


From Marla Mendenhall (California) ~ who has first hand experience with heart related health matters ~
I know something of this ... Three years ago, last month to be exact, my husband collapsed in front of me just after I had returned home from the store. Cardiac arrest. Thanks to the unflagging support of the 911 operator - who I don't even remember calling - I performed CPR until the paramedics arrived, and I saved his life. He now has an ICD implant, to shock his heart if it falters again, and I need PTSD Caregiver therapy.
Which these challenges surely are.
Love and white-light blessings go out to all those who have been likewise touched.
Tangled Tidbits -
*highlighted red Kisses
*beautiful layers of Minline
*Puffle border - very evenly aura-ed



From Becky Welty (North Carolina) ~
My husband says it looks like a "flower dream". I think I have to agree.
Tangled Tidbits - 
*simply elegant tangles
*pleasing balance of light and dark
*curls repeat in Kisses, Puffle, and as a filler



From me - Adele (Florida) ~
I found each one of these tangles very rhythmic to draw.  Once I decided to make the string loop one large Kiss, the rest of the tile flowed effortlessly. 
Tangled Tidbits - 
*one large Kiss in the string loop
*stacked rows of Kisses
*aura and shading add depth




From Cathy Cusson ~
Here you go for this week! I am not exactly happy with my tile. I loved the string and the 3 tangles. I just couldn’t get satisfied. I am interested in seeing what everyone else does!
Tangled Tidbits - 
*rows of different sized Puffle
*wonderful white space balances the detailed tangles
*soft shading



From Brenda Urbanik (South Africa) ~
Here is my entry for your latest challenge.
It's also on my blog
Tangled Tidbits - 
*double orbs, differing sizes of Puffle
*dark swatch of black through the middle
*double lined hearts of Minline


From Susan Theron (South Africa) ~
I did not really know what I want to do and for some reason my pen decided to draw miniature Minlines and Puffles! My Kisses also needs some more practicing. Looking forward to see what others did.
Tangled Tidbits -
*the miniatures are wonderful
*a black, sparkled pearl in the string loop
*stacks of Kisses


From CZT Judy Wanner (Pennsylvania) ~
Greetings from Hershey Kiss Land. LOVE your Kisses tangle as much as the real thing! 
Tangled Tidbits -
*yummy highlighted brown Kisses - makes me hungry!
*shading to indicate the border
*large Puffle with Puffle inside - very clever


From Emily Shelton (Kentucky) ~
Don’t have much to say about this one. In addition to the 3 you suggested, I added Florz.
Tangled Tidbits - 
*lovely layers of Minline
*shading and detailed lines on Kisses
*black spaces repeated in Florz, around Puffle and Minline


From Audrie Weisenfelder (Arizona) ~
It's also on my blog:Purple Butterfly


Tangled Tidbits - 
*weighted lines
*sparkle and shading
*one, two, and three orbs of Puffle


From Susie F (St. Louis, Missouri) ~
I like the puffle but not the rest. I can't wait to see what everyone else comes up with.
Tangled Tidbits - 
*one and two orbs for Puffle
*deeply shaded tangles
*single row of Minline


From CZT Midori (Florida) ~
thank you for this 'hearts and kisses' challenge, so sweet!
once the top small oval string was filled with minline,
the other two minline's naturally followed the winged curves of the strings.
the center, called for 'kisses', finishing off with 'puffles.'
last but not least, the swirls mirrored by longer curls.
every stroke felt like they melted into place.
tangling 'kisses' reminded me of my late mother who LOVED
hersey's kiss chocolates.
Tangled Tidbits - 
*yummy stacks of Kisses
*curls flow from all three tangles
*gorgeous shading


From Elisa (Paris, France) ~
Here is my tile for the "Heart Day" challenge. Given the topic, I could not resist adding a touch of red to my tile as well as keeping the heart shape explicit. I also felt that drawing more of the Kiss and Puffle patterns would make the tile too busy, that is why I have left so much white space.
Tangled Tidbits - 
*Kisses blends effortlessly into Puffle
*Minline, aura-ed and shaded
*Minline blossoms from the simple string line


And now, the tile for honors this week was sent in by 
Sue Agnew (Tucson, AZ)
First... I wanted to say that last week I was impressed and interested in the fact that so many people chose an official Zentangle tangle for their optional tangle. It was fun to see everyone's responses.
This week, I felt like I needed one grid-based tangle ... a couple of weeks ago when I used your Kisses I stacked it, so this time I decided to stack Puffle instead. The big loop in the string was just crying out to be a Kiss ... and that left Minline to outline the string.
Thank you for all the work you do to keep this "String Thing" going!
h
Tangled Tidbits - 
*stacked Puffle with multiple inside aura
*Minline string line - detail lines add to the layered look
*one large Kiss with sparkled lines




Congratulations, Sue!

I have a little something coming in the mail for you.

Thank you to the creative minds behind the string and patterns we used, along with my new Kisses~

TanglePatterns String 112 by Yamit Fridman

Minline by Mei Hua Teng (Damy)

Puffle by CZT Sandy Hunter


To all of our participants this week, a huge thank you for your wonderful artwork. 

Check back tomorrow for "It's a String Thing" #113!




2 comments:

  1. i look forward to participating and to seeing everyone's interpretations on the weekly tangles. and, what wonderful (surprise?!) BONUS to see adele's rendition! all very inspiring!! thank you, midori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Adele, back from holidays I see all these fantastic tiles! It's so interesting to see, how different they are. They are beautiful! I will participate for the following challenges. Greetings Esther

    ReplyDelete