Tuesday, May 5, 2015

"It's a String Thing" #90 Tiles


This week we used a lovely loopy string with just three tangles.   The combinations of the patterns on the same string line vary amazingly from tile to tile.  Let's take a look ~

The first tile arrived from Carmela in the Netherlands with "happy greets" ~
I loved this string and i liked the patterns, Thanxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
Lovely challenge.
my blog
Tangled Tidbits -
*large loop of Lanie
*Laced string line
*shaded Garlic Cloves


From Joanne Hawes ~
Adele I loved this one this week straight away I could see where most things could go. Hadn't used any of these tangles before so I did a tiny practice in my sketchbook before jumping in. :) I love garlic cloves I think they may end up in my work somewhere. This tile was originally drawn the other way up but I think I like it this way more then realized my chop is the same upside down lol :D.
Tangled Tidbits -
*great reminder that tiles are meant to be viewed from all angles
*deep dark background for Garlic Cloves 
*narrow Laced

From Emily Shelton ~
You can see this on my Site  under the "it's a string thing challenge" tab.
Tangled Tidbits - 
*wonderful dimension in Laced
*gobs of Garlic Cloves
*alternating rows of Lanie


From Beth Broadway ~
Loved the string for this challenge..Garlic Cloves and Laced are fun to draw. Struggled a bit with Lanie. Think i need to practice with larger starting grids...

Tangled Tidbits - 
*lovely variation in sizes of Garlic Cloves
*fields of Laced
*alternating light and dark lovely Lanie


From Ilse Lukken ~
Here's my entry for this week. I really liked Lanie!
You can find this tile on my blog as well:
Tangled Tidbits - 
*pretty loops of Lanie
*deeply shaded Garlic Cloves
*large dark loops Laced


From K. Bish ~
Enclosed please find my tangle "Lacing Up".
This was a very enjoyable tangle for me. While I had thought originally that GARLIC CLOVES would be difficult, I found myself enjoying it very much. LACED was a really fun one as well,and LANIE is a tangle that reminds me of my grandmother's doilies. In fact I started working on this and looked down and was nearly done!

Tangled Tidbits - 
*pleasant thoughts about tangling :)
*balance of light and dark spaces
*star burst of Laced



From Kristen Killips ~
This was a really fun challenge. I actually did it AND remembered to email it...
Tangled Tidbits - 
*fabulous frame of Garlic Cloves
*shaded background for Lanie
*Laced string line



From Cheryl Stocks ~
Before I did this one, I had another. I gave it the old college try to try to cram all three patterns into the string. It wasn't happening; I wasn't digging the lacing. So, I started again. Turned the string upside down, put down some dots and let it fly from there.
I've had this "poem" on the refrigerator for months, meaning to channel it into a piece of art and a butterfly kind of appeared to me here. Thus, the moon appeared in the string and the poem became the title for this tile.
(And I can finally retire these magnets and try something else!)
Happy birthday greetings to Lanie,

Tangled Tidbits - 
*a beautiful sentiment and tile
*a Lanie butterfly!
*super shading



From Suzanne Moshier ~
Here’s my drawing for String Thing #90.
I found the string a little hard to work with so I laced a few curves from the string and then did my own thing with the rest. [My blog]

Tangled Tidbits - 
*great use of the suggested string
*simple and effective shading
*light touch of tangles



From Sarah Antoinette ~
I had a great time. This week's challenge was a great confidence building challenge for me. I'm happy that I'm putting some good tangles out on paper. Thank you! [my blog]

Tangled Tidbits - 
*wonderful dimension in Laced with overlapping and curved lines
*purple puffs of Garlic Cloves
*large and lovely field of Lanie



From Ragged Ray ~
I'm getting over a nasty cold and cough, and it shows in my tile for this week's challenge. Slightly shaky lines and something that doesn't quite gel. But still pleasurable to draw and a welcome distraction from soggy tissues and cough medicine!
Tangled Tidbits ~
*proof that tangling is good medicine!
*boldly outlined Lanie with wonderful shading
*Garlic Cloves over and under the darkened string line



From Carol Bourret ~
I was struck by how great the values of the three different tangles went together, along with their different line densities ... very pleasing to the eye, I think. But of course I suspect it was your expertise that so wisely chose them in the first place. This was a REAL stretch for me, as I initially had no idea how to fill the string. But I'm pleased with the end result, and can now say I enjoyed the challenge. Again, thank you so much.
Tangled Tidbits -
*a striking string line - doubled with Lanie and Laced
*puffs of Garlic Cloves
*great shading


From Anna Houston, CZT ~  a warm welcome back :)
Here's my submission for this week. Unfortunately I did it last evening, and you tangling tips for Lanie came 8 hrs too late or I could have improved on my efforts! Oh well! Happy birthday wishes for your daughter!
Tangled Tidbits -
*Laced string line
*aura and perf enhanced Laced
*beautiful line work on Garlic Cloves



From Talia Maynard ~
I found this string very difficult with the patterns we were given. Laced seemed to fit in easily on the string itself, but how to incorporate the others? So I've tried and I fear I haven't done your Lanie justice. It's such a pretty pattern too. Sorry, Adele!
Tangled Tidbits -
*no apologies!  Lanie is lovely here - sparkled and elongated especially
*great dangle loop of Garlic Cloves
*long stretches of Laced



From Sue Agnew ~
I really like tangles such as Garlic Cloves (the one that comes to mind is Socc but I'm sure there are others) because the lines converging to a point give a powerful illusion of dimension without even having to shade. I had a lot of fun playing with Garlic Cloves and ended up "mashing up" Garlic Cloves and Lanie. I used a dot grid but if you were a purist and thought a dot grid was "cheating" you could use a regular grid, but without the outside line (like a tic-tac-toe) so the outside petals form an irregular edge.
If I was going to do it some more, the thing I might try to do is make the "ribbon" in Laced emerge from natural spaces rather than arbitrary "holes" in the pattern.
Thank you for yet another fun week!
Tangled Tidbits - 
*marvelous merging of the tangles
*dots and dashes and folds for Laced
*sparkle for which Sue is known :)


From Bobbie Witt ~
...I titled my tile -- Laced protecting Laney from the Garlic Knot!

Tangled Tidbits - 
*bubbling Garlic Cloves
*flowering Lanie
*Laced lines move from thick to thin



A very warm welcome to Brie Zobel ~
Hi, I just got into Zentangle and looked for challenges to give me a slight direction as I learn and I found your blog.
I'm attaching my tangle for String 90. It's my 5th zentangle ever! I'm loving the relaxing nature of this.
Tangled Tidbits -
*an inspirational "fifth ever" tile - complete with shading!
*clever large Lanie tucked into smaller ones
*tumbling single Lanies


From Kylie Dinning ~
I'm back for my second week and enjoyed the challenge again - lots of fun!
I found this week's patterns more challenging to put together but happy with how it eventually worked out.
Tangled Tidbits - 
*impressive large tangles
*Garlic Cloves in a single line
*single and small groupings of Lanie



From Annie Taylor ~
This one seemed to do itself - not in a rush, because that would defeat the object - but I sat down, drew the string and whoosh! it was done. And it was a lovely, simple, relaxing 'whoosh', if that's not a contradiction in terms. I honestly don't know if I did it quickly or whether I was immediately lost in concentration. It seemed quick and I was sorry when I'd finished....
Thanks as always for a lovely challenge and some great tips on drawing Lanie. I wanted to do a border using this tangle but I didn't quite have the time necessary to attempt that...but it's on my list!
Tangled Tidbits - 
*Annie's description is an eloquent take on the experience of tangling.  I have read and re-read it.
*gorgeous layers of tangles, dark, darker, and lighter spaces
*polka-dotted Laced


A very warm welcome to Jeanine Berry~
Hi, this is my first attempt at doing the challenge, and it was a lot of fun. Lanie and garlic cloves were both new to me. I'm sure it shows, but each time you try it you learn something. I added Lacey as another L design.


Tangled Tidbits - 
*each time, we ALL learn something :)
*Laced string line
*wonderful lines of Garlic Cloves


From Sidney Kapinos ~
Hi again. Here is my entry for this week's challenge (#90). Thanks for including Lanie! It was fun working on this tangle. I had not drawn Laced or Garlic Clove before so it was good to try some new tangles. I did go out of bounds some with the string, but the basic structure is (hopefully) apparent.
Tangled Tidbits - 
*Yes, the string is a suggestion and it is good to follow where the tangles lead
*simply shaded Garlic Cloves, wonderful dimension
*dainty Lanie


From Susan Theron ~
I've enjoyed this one a lot. Also on my blog.
Tangled Tidbits - 
*black spaces in Garlic Cloves add even more depth
*large aura-ed and shaded Lanie
*fine lined Laced


From Jane Glotzer ~
This week's challenge was a fun one...the kind that almost created itself with little ahead of time planning...
It seemed predictable to use Laced along the string line, so I thought I would just do a small piece of it, starting with the diagonal line across the right side and corner. But then I wanted to show something under it, so I added the part from the right to the center "balloon." Lanie filled that in easily...what a lovely pattern...and then Laced really insisted on finishing out that string line, so I had to let it--:) With just those two tangles, the piece looked simple and great, but somehow it felt undone. Garlic Cloves got started in the upper left corner and grew to fill the left side. One more balanced out the right, and that was just enough! Definitely didn't think about or plan that placement at all, but I do like it. Played with some new shading ideas in the white space...and DONE!
Thanks for all your hard work and tangling support!

Tangled Tidbits - 
*another wonderful description of the tangle experience
*Garlic Clove meshing with Laced
*dark loop of Lanie contrasts so nicely with the white space




From Tabitha Barnett ~
Greeting from sunny Kentucky again! Wow this week's challenge was a tough one. I really look forward to seeing the other entries this week. I finally finished with a pretty tile after I stopped trying to force myself to use the garlic cloves. Third time was the charm. :) Here it is!
Tangled Tidbits - 
*lines of Lanie blend into clusters
*additional Lanie orbs
*marvelous multiple curves of Laced


A very warm welcome to Debi Jacob ~
I love your website and your work. I am a self taught tangler and I just love the peace it brings to my soul. This is my 1st submission. Still pretty rough..but I am loving the journey. Thanks for sharing your zest!
Tangled Tidbits - 
*aura-ed sections of Garlic Cloves
*thin lined Laced
*Lanie all in the same direction - with a bit of sparkle, too!



From Christina Luis ~
Here is my entry for this week. Nice simple and fun. I really liked working with your tangle.
Tangled Tidbits ~
*pretty Lanie blooms
*black spaces in Garlic Cloves
*detailed Laced


From Anna Houston, CZT just a few days after her first tile arrived ~
Just another go at this challenge as I enjoyed doing the first tile so much! 
Tangled Tidbits - 
*fabulous detail
*center lines and shading of Lanie add exceptional depth
*Laced flows in and out of Garlic Cloves


From Shayn Penna ~
So funny that Laced was among your tangle choices ... Monday I was picking up and came across my notes from a phone call completely Laced up.
This was such a fun prompt ... I had so many versions of tiles running through my mind but barely time for this one tile. Garlic Cloves mashed with Laced and Lanie grew out of Garlic Clove like a flowering cactus. Thank you for this great mix!

Tangled Tidbits - 
*Garlic Cloves use Laced 'holes' - ingenious
*dark Lanie loops
*pleasing balance of white and tangled spaces


From Lucy Banta ~
Here's my tile for this week's challenge, which I actually finished in Wednesday but my website's been hacked so haven't been able to post. Grrrr. Thank goodness for Zentangle to calm one's nerves!

Tangled Tidbits - 
*plump Garlic Cloves complete with detail lines and shading
*single Lanie variation
*Laced string line
Lucy, any advice for the rest of us with blogs we need to keep from hackers?  Please let us know!


From Betsy Gentry ~
Happy Birthday Elena!
This weeks challenge was just plain fun! Loved the string and all of the tangles. Will definitely use these again. Can't wait to see all of the tiles.
Tangled Tidbits - 
*a birthday balloon of Laced!
*wonderful lines and shading for Garlic Cloves
*pretty pockets of Lanie

From Portia Hyde ~

Tangled Tidbits - 
*a tangle within a tangle within a tangle!
*a Lanie and Garlic Cloves - Laced
*superb shading


From Daniel Lamothe ~
This was unlike Zentangle in that it was planned, but it was also like in the fact that it was extremely relaxing and fun to do. Each section used a different color combination with Garlic Cloves, done 3 at a time in each color (3 red, 3 green, 3 red, so on), and after a section was filled I would do a few black cloves along the string line enclosing that section. Shading helped the black stand out and I'm really happy with the results! It reminded my mom of pasta 
Tangled Tidbits - 
*a marvelous monotangle of Garlic Cloves
*very effective use of black for the string line


From Cathy Cusson ~

Tangled Tidbits - 
*red Lanie 'beads' on Laced - very clever
*Garlic Cloves lines and clusters
*nice shading


From Henrike Bratz ~
I haven’t been tangling much for a while. But I always wanted to try you pattern Lanie, so I sat down and tangled this tile. I hope you like it!

Tangled Tidbits - 
*two variations of Lanie
*dramatic black background
*Garlic Clove , elegant lines and shading



And now, the tile for honors this week was sent in by
Ingrid Coventon from the Netherlands!

Ingrid wrote ~
It took me a lot of work, but I had quite a good time. It has become a very dark tile, but I think it's not too dark and there is an acceptable balance between the lighter parts. At least I hope so.
Be blessed with everything you do and where you are.
Have a joyful weekend.
Tangled Tidbits -
*shading, shading, and shading
*smooth line aura of Laced
*a circular flower of Lanie
*fabulous balance of light and dark

Congratulations, Ingrid!   I have a little something coming in the mail for you.

Many thanks to the creative minds behind the string and tangles we used ~

TanglePatterns String 090 by Carlyn Koesters
Garlic Cloves by Jacquelien Bredenoord
Laced by Mary Elizabeth Martin, CZT
and my pattern
Lanie


Check back Tuesday afternoon for "It's a String Thing" #91!









1 comment:

  1. So many amazing entangles - all the ladies did a wonderful job on this challenge.

    Because it´s my first time with the String Thing I was a little bit late - but maybe someone want to visit my blog to see what I`ve created. ;)

    http://terragina.de/blog/2015/05/05/string-thing-2/

    Greetings from Germany,
    Kerstin

    ReplyDelete