Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Joanne Fink's New Project

Two weeks ago, I mentioned that Joanne Fink was soon to announce a new venture.  Today, she published the idea for her new book When You Loose Someone You Love
as well as an invitation to help her.

For many personal reasons, Joanne decided to self publish this book born from the grief of mourning her husband after his sudden death.

First read what Joanne has to say about the project.  This is from her blog ~ Zenspriations.com 
I wanted to share some exciting news— I’ve decided to self-publish, “When You Lose Someone You Love”, an illustrated book of excerpts from the grief journals I kept after my husband died unexpectedly three years ago. I want to publish this book to reach out to others going through the grieving process because I know first-hand how devastating it can be to lose someone you love. Connecting with those who were further along on their grief journey made a difference to me… and I’d like to help make a difference for others. It helps to know that you are not alone, that there will be days when you feel overwhelmed, nights when you can’t sleep, and times when waves of sadness wash over you unexpectedly. “When You Lose Someone You Love” is a gift of comfort, offering hope without sugar-coating the challenges of losing a loved one.

I’ve actually had offers from several publishers, but they all wanted to change the book in some way. Since I feel those changes would weaken its ability to help people who are grieving, I've decided to self-publish instead and will be launching my first Kickstarter tomorrow!

In case you aren’t familiar with crowd-funding, Kickstarter funds independent, creative projects, such as books, films, and inventions. Supporters of a project help bring it to life; in return, the supporters receive rewards if— and only if— the project is completely funded. Backers select the amount they wish to contribute (often based on which reward they wish to receive), and then are asked to provide either an Amazon account or a credit card. If the funding does not reach the amount necessary for the project, then the project will not move forward, and no funds will change hands.
Most successful Kickstarter projects have two things in common: getting support the day it launches and having friends and family share the project. Immediate support is important because when the Kickstarter website sees initial momentum, they then feature that project on their site so it gains maximum exposure. Sharing is important because the more sharing about the project that is done by friends and family, the more likely it is that the project will be funded. Please help me spread the word. Blog if you can, share via social media- and/or forward the link to those who might support the campaign. Please use the hashtag #WhenYouLoseSomeone on social media so others can find your posts.

Then listen to her story ~ click here to view her Kickstarter page and her video.

Finally, you can do what I did and pledge to support her venture.  (Besides, her incentives for pledges are awesome :)

I was able to see the book when I visited with her a few weeks ago.  It is truly a labor of love.  It is full of truths about loss that are comforting to read.  They leave you with the sense that you are not alone in your sorrow and conversely not alone in your effort to carry your loss and move forward.

Thank you in advance for your help.





1 comment:

  1. Adele, thank you for sharing this ... I'm pleased to be a supporter ... it's very timely for me. Sharyn

    ReplyDelete